born 11 September 1927, died 13 March 2000
Photo of Charlotte Bauer taken in September 1999. (Photo: robsgenealogy.net)
Facts and Notes
- Anecdote: See person note2
- Religious Affiliation: Catholic2
- Birth: 11 September 1927; Forchheim, Bayern, GermanyBGO1,8,4,5,6,3,7
- Marriage: 9 January 1954; Hans Gregor Kotz; Forchheim, Bayern, GermanyBGO9,8
- Divorce: 28 November 1961; Hans Gregor Kotz; Bamberg, Bayern, GermanyBGO8
- Residence: 1967; Salinas, Monterey County, California, USABGO; Age: 405,6,7
- Occupation: Between 1983 and 1994; Madonna del Sasso Church, Salinas, Monterey County, California, USABG; Housekeeper; Lotte was the subject of a chapter in Father Michael Cross's book "Remembering Big Jim"10
- Death: 13 March 2000; Salinas, Monterey County, California, USABGO4,5,6,3,7
- Burial: July 2000; Forchheim Town Cemetery, Forchheim, Bayern, GermanyBG; Charlotte's ashes taken to Germany for internment in the Bauer family plot in Forchheim during the summer of 20001,6
- Note: Person Notes:
Married and divorced Ludwig Holmer in Germany. Retained his name after the divorce. They had no children.
Ludwig was abusive and Lotte left him around 1965 or 1966. She joined her sister, Marianne Reyes, and her family in Fort Riley, Kansas, USA. Not long after she came to Kansas, she moved with the Reyes family to California. She became a housekeeper at the Carmel Mission in Carmel, California, where she became a well liked fixture. Father Felix, whom she befriended there, became a good friend of the Reyes family and gave Lotte her last rites and a special mass in her honor following her death. Around 1970, Lotte became a housekeeper at a Madonna Del Sasso Catholic Church in north Salinas so she could be closer to the Reyes family.
Lotte died of a heart attack during the night of 2-3 March, 2000. She was found still in her bed by her Aunt (Gunda Laucella), who lived in a neighboring mobile home, on the morning of 3 March. Lotte's heart was weakened as a result of a number of factors. In January she almost died because of bleeding of the artery in the stomach. She had to undergo an operation to repair the artery, but had already been so weakened from the loss of blood that she almost died. Because of the serious state of her health her brothers (Erich and Joseph Bauer), her sister (Brigette Plessner) and her nephew (Rob Reyes) flew into Salinas to visit her, joining her Aunt (Gunda), sister and brother-in-law (Marianne and Roy Reyes), nephew (Michael Reyes), and niece (Rita Reyes). Lotte recovered, turning the occasion into a festive family reunion. Unfortunately, although she tried, Lotte never completely recovered her appetite and she was malnurished when she died. She was a smoker her entire life prior to the arterial bleeding, which could have been a major contributing factor in her initial illness and, although she quit, it still might have affected her ability to recover from the operation.
- [S580] Friedhof an der Birkenfelderstr. (Alter Friedhof) (Forchheim, Germany), Grave Markers, Friedhof an der Birkenfelderstr. (Alter Friedhof) (Forchheim, Germany). Grave markers., Cemetery Marker for the Wolf and Bauer Families
- [S587] Reyes, Robert, Firsthand knowledge, Reyes, Robert, Lorton, Virginia. Firsthand knowledge., Memories of my “Aunt Lotte”
- [S796] Ancestry.com, Web: Obituary Daily Times Index, 1995-2016, The Obituary Daily Times. The Obituary Daily Times. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~obituary., Record for Charlotte Holmer
- [S531] Ancestry.com, U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007, Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007., Record for Charlotte Bauer Holmer
- [S404] Ancestry.com, U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014, Social Security Administration; Washington D.C., USA; Social Security Death Index, Master File, Record for Charlotte Holmer
- [S795] Ancestry.com, Newspapers.com Obituary Index, 1800s-current, See newspaper information provided with each entry., The Californian; Publication Date: 17/ Mar/ 2000; Publication Place: Salinas, California, United States of America; URL: https://www.newspapers.com/image/515668981/?article=dd4b0e62-c136-4e1c-aa12-fafb01bf5396&focus=0.3484488,0.37061203,0.5058716,0.6551894&xid=2378, Record for Charlotte Holmer
- [S691] Ancestry.com, U.S., Obituary Collection, 1930-2015, See newspaper information provided with each entry., Publication Place: California, USA; URL: http://www.tributes.com/obituary/print_selections/70679200?type=1, Record for Charlotte Holmer
- [S586] Bayern, Germany, Standesamt Forchheim, Heiratskunde (Marriage Certificate), Bayern, Germany. Standesamt Forchheim. Heiratskunde (Marriage Certificate)., Nr 2/1954, Certificate for Charlotte Bauer and Hans Kotz, Copy was produced by the registry office in Forchheim, Germany, on 23 August 1974.
- [S169] F.A. Streit, Forchheim, Memorial Notice (in German), Kotz, Hans
- [S213] Father Michael L. Cross, Remembering Big Jim, Charlotte Holmer was the main topic in the chapter named "In the Presence of Charlotte"