born 20 October 1906, died 4 December 1958
Photo of Michael Bauer, circa 1955. (Photo: robsgenealogy.net)
Facts and Notes
- Religious Affiliation: Roman Catholic2
- Birth: 20 October 1906; Bischberg, Bamberg, Bayern, GermanyBGO; Bischberg is near Bamberg3,1,4,2
- Marriage: 20 July 1928; Margareta Wolf; Forchheim, Bayern, GermanyBGO; They were married in a civil ceremony. Groomsmen were Michael's father Casimir and Margareta's father Christoph.5,6,2
- Military: About 1944; FranceBG; WW2; German Army (Wehrmacht) Signal Corps7
- Anecdote: About 1944; See person note7
- Occupation: After 1947; Forchheim, Bayern, GermanyBGO; Worker in glue factory.7
- Death: 4 December 1958; Forchheim, Bayern, GermanyBGO; He died in his house at Kasernstrasse #9 at midnight (2400 hrs) on 4 December. His son Josef was with him when he died and signed his death certificate.1,4
- Burial: 8 December 1958; Forchheim, Bayern, GermanyBGO4
- Note: Person Notes:
Military service in German army signal unit during World War II; captured in France by Allied forces in 1945. Lived most of adult life at Kasernstrasse 9, Forchheim Germany.
The following was related to me by Eric Bauer when I visited him in August 2003:
"According to Erich, his father was in the signal corps and was stationed at St. Nazaire in France. He enjoyed life in France and was apparently quite taken with the young ladies, despite being married. After returning to Forchheim following his first tour in France, he used to complain to Erich about how he missed France. He used to play cards with his friends in the local Gasthaus, exchanging war stories and recollections about their life in the Army. Erich ran into him often at the Gasthaus, and used to kid his father that he was going to tell Mother about his excapades in France. Michael would joke back, telling Eric that he better not "or else.."
Erich also said that his father told him that the German soldiers in St. Nazzaire could not go out alone, especially at night, or the fishermen of the village might ambush them. His father told him that one of the favorite weapons that the fishermen used against the Germans was the gaf.
Nevertheless, Michael secured a transfer back to France, where he remained until he was captured by the Allies during their advance into northern France. He was imprisoned in a POW camp, where he remained until his release in 1947, after which he returned to Forchheim.
This ends the information that I obtained from Erich. It should be noted that none of the other siblings I spoke with (Josef or Marianne) were aware of these events. However, Erich was the oldest and would have been more aware of what was happening, and might also have been taken into confidence by his father.
On 26 April, 1945, Michael Bauer was awarded the KREIGSVERDIENSTKREUZ 2.KLASSE (War Merit Cross Second Class) MIT SCHWERTERN (with swords). I do not have the citation accompanying the medal, but according to some sources on the internet, it was originally created to fill the gap between oustanding service to the country by both civillian and military personnel, but not worthy of a combat medal such at the Eiserne Kreuz. It came in two classes (2nd and 1st) and with/without swords. It could be awarded for "16 battle days and contributing time and effort above the normal duties of the unit, or purchasing an authentic vehicle or crew served weapon. Efforts may include: recruiting, providing loaner gear, making equipment or uniforms etc."
- [S580] Friedhof an der Birkenfelderstr. (Alter Friedhof) (Forchheim, Germany), Grave Markers, Friedhof an der Birkenfelderstr. (Alter Friedhof) (Forchheim, Germany). Grave markers., Cemetery Marker for the Wolf and Bauer Families
- [S771] Official Records, Standesamt Forchheim (Forchheim Registry Office), Sterberegister (Death Registry) 1958, No. 226. Record for Michael Bauer., His death certificate erroneously states that he was born on 13 October 1906.
- [S10] RNK -GMBH Berlin SW 68, Nachweis der arischen Abstammung (Proof of Aryan Descent) (poor quality photocopy), RNK -GMBH Berlin SW 68. Nachweis der arischen Abstammung (Proof of Aryan Descent) (poor quality photocopy). Aug 1942. Privately held by Robert Reyes, Lorton, Virginia. 2016., Record for Michael Bauer
- [S657] F.A. Streit, Memorial Notice (in German), 5 Dec 1958, Michael Bauer
- [S771] Official Records, Standesamt Forchheim (Forchheim Registry Office), Heiratsregister (Marriage Registry) (Marriage Registry) 1928, No. 37. Record for Michael Bauer and Margareta Wolf.
- [S771] Official Records, Standesamt Forchheim (Forchheim Registry Office), Sterberegister (Death Registry) 1970, No. 264. Record for Margareta Wolf.
- [S618] Bauer, Erich, Family Story, Bauer, Erich, Forchheim, Bayern, Germany. Family Story., Erich Bauer was Michael's son; Information was related to Robert R Reyes in 2003