born about 1632, died September 1684
- Father: John Woodson (born 1586, died 18 April 1644)
- Mother: Sarah Winston (born between 1590 and 1595, died 17 January 1659)
Family: Sarah Tucker (born about 1629/30, died 16 June 1691/92)
Facts and Notes
- Birth: About 1632; Fleur de Hundred, Prince George County, Virginia, USAB1
- Marriage: About 1654; Sarah Tucker1
- Death: September 16841
- Note: John was born about the year 1632 at Fleur de Hundred or, as it was sometimes called, Piersey's Hundred, a plantation on the south side of the James River, in what is now Prince George county, Virginia.
With the exception of his remarkable preservation from the Indians, during the massacre on the 18th of April, 1644, nothing is known of him until 1679 when (as stated in William and Mary College Quarterly, Vol. XI) he is enumerated among the "tithables" at Curles, a plantation on the north side of the James River, above Fleur de Hundred.
He was married probably about the year 1654 and died September, 1684. "On August 20, 1684, he made his will which was proved October 1, 1684. In it he mentions his wife without giving her name, and two sons, John, and Robert ' who hath labored for himself three years.' He mentions also son Robert's two children, Jane and Samuel; and brother Robert's five sons, John, Robert, Richard, Joseph and Benjamin, designating the eldest as cousin John Woodson, meaning nephew, as was the custom then."
- [S454] Woodson, Henry Morton, Historical Genealogy of the Woodsons and Their Connections, Woodson, Henry Morton. Historical Genealogy of the Woodsons and Their Connections. Memphis, Tennessee: H.M. Woodson, 1915.
A copy of this book is available on Ancestry.com (see http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=15304), openlibrary.org (see https://openlibrary.org/books/OL1758627M/Historical_genealogy_of_the_Woodsons_and_their_connections), and Google Books (see http://books.google.com/books/about/Historical_genealogy_of_the_Woodsons_and.html?id=GuhfAAAAMAAJ), Page 23