born before 1800
Facts and Notes
- Birth: Before 1800; Louisiana, USAB; Birth dates listed in the 1850 census for Seth and his wife, Matilda, are highly suspect, since that would have made them 12 and 10 years old, respectively, when they were married.3,1,2
- Birth: Before 1800; Sumter County, South Carolina, USAB1,2
- Arrival: Between 1800 and 1819; Louisiana, USAB; According to the Brief Family History of Robert S Woodson, Seth moved from South Carolina to Louisanna in early 1800's.1
- Marriage: 29 December 1812; Matilda Bundick; St Landry Parish, Louisiana, USAB7
- Residence: 1820; St Landry Parish, Louisiana, USAB4
- Occupation: Between 1820 and 1850; Louisiana, USAB; Farmer/planter. In 1850 his real estate was valued at $30,6003,1
- Anecdote: Between 1820 and 1850; Evangeline Parish, Louisiana, USAB; By 1850 Seth Singleton had accumulated over 1600 acres of land valued at $30,600. He was a major slave holder, owning 6 in 1820, 17 in 1830, 18 in 1840, and 48 in 1850.8,6,5,4
- Residence: 19 January 1820; St Landry Parish, Louisiana, USAB; Bought a 22-year-old slave named Bob from a man named Middleton Glaze9
- Residence: 1830; Bayou Leche, St Landry Parish, Louisiana, USAB5
- Possessions: Between 3 April 1832 and 1 June 1848; St Landry and Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana, USAB; Seth Singleton was a major land owner. Between 1832 and 1848 he purchased over 1600 acres of land10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10
- Residence: 1840; St Landry Parish, Louisiana, USAB6
- Residence: 1850; Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana, USAB; Age: 503,8
- [S436] , Woodson, Robert S., Brief Family History of Robert S. Woodson, Robert Woodson states that Middleton Singleton attended Missouri State University in 1847. However, he probably meant the University of Missouri, which was established at Columbia in Boone County in 1839; Missouri State wasn't established until 1905.
- [S439] , McNaull, Margaret, Personal Family Tree, Margaret McNaull Genealogical Records, Copies sent to Marianna Cobb on 11 May 1993.
- [S363] Ancestry.com, 1850 United States Federal Census, Year: 1850; Census Place: Avoyelles, Louisiana; Roll: M432_229; Page: 147B; Image: 299, Record for Seth Singleton
- [S443] Ancestry.com, 1820 United States Federal Census, 1820 U S Census; Census Place: St Landry, Louisiana; Page: 422; NARA Roll: M33_30; Image: 110, Record for Seth Singleton
- [S371] Ancestry.com, 1830 United States Federal Census, 1830; Census Place: Bayou Leche, St Landry, Louisiana; Series: M19; Roll: 44; Page: 45; Family History Library Film: 0009687, Record for Seth Singleton
- [S469] Ancestry.com, 1840 United States Federal Census, Year: 1840; Census Place: Saint Landry, Louisiana; Roll: 128; Page: 261; Image: 533; Family History Library Film: 0009689, Record for Seth Singleton
- [S602] , Louisiana Parish Marriages (1837-1957), database with images, (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKJH-YLK2 : accessed 2 May 2016), Seth Singleton and Matilda Bundick, 29 Dec 1812; citing St. Landry, Louisiana, United States, various parish courthouses, Louisiana; FHL microfilm 870,694.
- [S601] Ancestry.com, 1850 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules, Record for Seth Singleton
- [S603] Hall, Gwendolyn Midlo, comp, Louisiana, Slave Records, 1719-1820, Record for Bob
- [S385] Ancestry.com, U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907, Record for Seth Singleton