Middleton Glaise Singleton1,2,3,4,5,6,7
born 15 September 1821, died 16 June 1883
Facts and Notes
- Burial: Columbia Cemetery, Columbia, Boone County, Missouri, USAB7,3
- Religious Affiliation: Presbyterian3
- Title: Colonel
- Birth: 15 September 1821; St Landry Parish, Louisiana, USAB; The place where his father owned property and where Middleton was likely born became Evangeline Parish in 19108,3,4,7,9,10,11,12,6
- Arrival: About 1845; Missouri, USAB; According to the Brief Family History of Robert S Woodson, Middleton moved from Louisanna to Missouri in 1845.3
- Education: After 1845; Marion College, Missouri, USAB; According to Wikipedia, Marion College was a Presbyterian work college that closed in 1844. Its three schools were located in the Missouri towns of Philadelphia, East Ely and West Ely.3
- Education: 1847; University of Missouri, Columbia, Boone County, Missouri, USAB3
- Marriage: 23 September 1847; Mary Eliza Barr; Columbia, Boone County, Missouri, USAB1,4,5
- Residence: 1850; District 8, Boone County, Missouri, USAB; Age: 29; According to the 1850 slave census, he owned eight slaves10,13
- Occupation: Between 1850 and 1880; Missouri, USAB; Farmer/planter. In 1850 his real estate was worth $5,400; by 1860 it had increased to $80,105 (with an addition $36,000 in personal wealth). His net worth dropped in 1870 (following the civil war) to $43,140 in real estate & $20,000 in his personal estate3,12,10,11
- Residence: 1860; Bourbon, Boone County, Missouri, USAB; Age: 3912
- Arrival: Before 1861; Fulton, Callaway County, Missouri, USAB; From Louisiana14
- Military: 1861; Missouri, USAB; Colonel Singleton commanded a battalion of the Missouri State Guards under CSA General Sterling Price at the beginning of the Civil War.3
- Residence: 1 July 1863; Bourbon, Boone County, Missouri, USAB; Age: 426
- Residence: 1870; Fulton, Callaway County, Missouri, USAB; Post Office: Fulton; Age: 4911
- Residence: 1880; Fulton, Callaway County, Missouri, USAB; Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head of House: Self8
- Death: 16 June 1883; Columbia, Boone County, Missouri, USAB; He died from Typhoid Fever.7,3
- [S675] Ancestry.com, Missouri, Marriage Records, 1805-2002, Missouri Marriage Records. Jefferson City, MO, USA: Missouri State Archives. Microfilm.
- [S435] Woodson, Robert S., Family Record, Woodson, Robert S.. Family Record. about 1928. Privately held by Mary Jane Reyes, Lorton, Virginia. 2014.
- [S436] Woodson, Robert S., Brief Family History of Robert S. Woodson, Woodson, Robert S.. Brief Family History of Robert S. Woodson. Privately held by Mary Jane Reyes, Lorton, Virginia, 2014, Robert Woodson states that Middleton Singleton attended Missouri State University in 1847. However, he probably meant the University of Missouri, which was established at Columbia in Boone County in 1839; Missouri State wasn't established until 1905.
- [S439] McNaull, Margaret, Personal Family Tree, McNaull, Margaret. Personal Family Tree. Privately held by Marianna Cobb, Arlington, Virginia, 1993.
These are copies of three separate genealogical records and a personal letter that were sent by Margaret McNaull to Marianna Cobb in Virginia in 1993. The copies were on file in the home of Mary Jane and Robert Reyes of Lorton, Virginia, as of 2014, Margaret McNaull Genealogical Records, Copies sent to Marianna Cobb on 11 May 1993.
- [S673] Ancestry.com, Missouri, Compiled Marriages, 1754-1850, Dodd, Jordan. Missouri Marriages to 1850. Electronic transcription of marriage records held by the individual counties in Missouri, Record for Mary Eliza Barr
- [S402] Ancestry.com, U.S., Civil War Draft Registrations Records, 1863-1865, National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington, D.C.; Consolidated Lists of Civil War Draft Registration Records (Provost Marshal General's Bureau; Consolidated Enrollment Lists, 1863-1865); Record Group: 110, Records of the Provost Marshal General's Bureau (Civil War); Collection Name: Consolidated Enrollment Lists, 1863-1865 (Civil War Union Draft Records); NAI: 4213514; Archive Volume Number: 1 of 1, Record for M G Singleton
- [S405] Ancestry.com, Web: Missouri, Find A Grave Index, 1812-2012, Record for Middleton Glaize Singleton
- [S397] Ancestry.com and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1880 United States Federal Census, Year: 1880; Census Place: Fulton, Callaway, Missouri; Roll: 677; Family History Film: 1254677; Page: 540D; Enumeration District: 029; Image: 0503
- [S365] Ancestry.com, 1900 United States Federal Census, United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Twelfth Census of the United States, 1900. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1900. T623, 1854 rolls, Year: 1900; Census Place: St Louis Ward 12, St Louis (Independent City), Missouri; Roll: 894; Page: 4A; Enumeration District: 0185; FHL microfilm: 1240894, Record for Seth Singleton
- [S363] Ancestry.com, 1850 United States Federal Census, Seventh Census of the United States, 1850; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M432, 1009 rolls); Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29; National Archives, Washington, D.C, Year: 1850; Census Place: District 8, Boone, Missouri; Roll: M432_392; Page: 368A; Image: 278, Record for Middle Singleton
- [S471] Ancestry.com, 1870 United States Federal Census, Year: 1870; Census Place: Fulton, Callaway, Missouri; Roll: M593_764; Page: 333B; Image: 118236; Family History Library Film: 552263, Record for Middleton Singleton
- [S476] Ancestry.com, 1860 United States Federal Census, Year: 1860; Census Place: Bourbon, Boone, Missouri; Roll: M653_608; Page: 913; Image: 464; Family History Library Film: 803608, Record for M G Singleton
- [S601] Ancestry.com, 1850 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules, United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Seventh Census of the United States, 1850; Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1850. M432, 1,009 rolls, Record for Middleton Glaise Singleton
- [S454] Woodson, Henry Morton, Historical Genealogy of the Woodsons and Their Connections, Woodson, Henry Morton. Historical Genealogy of the Woodsons and Their Connections. Memphis, Tennessee: H.M. Woodson, 1915.
A copy of this book is available on Ancestry.com (see http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=15304), openlibrary.org (see https://openlibrary.org/books/OL1758627M/Historical_genealogy_of_the_Woodsons_and_their_connections), and Google Books (see http://books.google.com/books/about/Historical_genealogy_of_the_Woodsons_and.html?id=GuhfAAAAMAAJ), Page 439