Capt John Dabney Strother1,2,3,4,5,6
born about 1721, died April 1795
Facts and Notes
- Birth: About 17213,1,4,5,6
- Marriage: 1745; Mary Willis Wade5
- Military: Between 1753 and 1757; Served as a Captain in the French and Indian wars4,6
- Military: 1775; Culpeper County, Virginia, USABGO; Served in the "Culpepper Committee Safety" during the Revolutionary War4,6
- Anecdote: Before 1795; See person note6
- Death: April 1795; Rappahannock County, Virginia, USABGO1,2,4,5,6
- Burial: After April 1795; Strother Family Estate known as "Wadefield", Rappahannock County, Virginia, USABG1
- Note: Captain John Strother was a large land holder in Virginia. He gave large tracts of land save to his sons-in-law, Charles and John Browning, and all, or most, of his children. He was a Captain in the French and Indian war, Sheriff, member of the Committee of Safety for Culpepper and one of the 13 justices who signed the first protest against the Stamp Act, which document, with original signatures, is still on record in Culpepper County. He provided a school for his children and took his brother William's daughter, Sarah, into his home and educated her. She it was who later married Col. Richard Taylor and became the mother of Gen. and Pres. Zachary Taylor. Capt. John Strother was a son of Francis Strother, and his father's old dwelling still stands near "Wakefield," which is now a substantial, but deserted, stone building.
- [S403] Ancestry.com, U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current, Record for Capt John Dabney Strother
- [S439] McNaull, Margaret, Personal Family Tree, McNaull, Margaret. Personal Family Tree. Privately held by Marianna Cobb, Arlington, Virginia, 1993.
These are copies of three separate genealogical records and a personal letter that were sent by Margaret McNaull to Marianna Cobb in Virginia in 1993. The copies were on file in the home of Mary Jane and Robert Reyes of Lorton, Virginia, as of 2014., Margaret McNaull Genealogical Records, Copies sent to Marianna Cobb on 11 May 1993.
- [S425] Yates Publishing, U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900, Source number: 9576.000; Source type: Electronic Database; Number of Pages: 1; Submitter Code: WAY, Record for John Dabney Strother
- [S495] Ancestry.com, U.S., Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970, Volume: 64, Application No 12625 for Chalmirs B Wood
- [S609] Ancestry.com, North America, Family Histories, 1500-2000, Book Title: Lineage Book : NSDAR : Volume 094 : 1912, Record for Mary Willis Wade
- [S703] Judith McGhan, Genealogies of Virginia Families (Vol I; Albridgton - Gerlache), pg 417