William Cowper WOODSON (M)
b. 14 February 1813, d. 25 May 1890
William Cowper WOODSON was born on 14 February 1813 at Prince Edward County, Virginia. He was the son of Richard WOODSON and Rachel P. ROBERTSON. William Cowper WOODSON married Elizabeth Daniel LEWIS on 25 November 1834. William Cowper WOODSON married Juliette Colson COALE OR HOWARD on 29 July 1845 at Monticello, Chariton County, Missouri. William Cowper WOODSON died on 25 May 1890 at St. Louis, Missouri, at age 77.
William Cowper WOODSON William moved from Virginia with his family in 1817 to Chariton County, Missouri, where he was reared and early became identified with the development of the social, religious, and commercial interests of that part of the new state of Missouri. The conditions peculiar to a pioneer life, amidst which he was brought up, developed the hardy virtues which later became conspicuous in his life. He received his primary education in the schools convenient to his boyhood home, and finished at Princeton College, Kentucky. He was married twice; first on November 25, 1834, in Chariton county, to Elizabeth Daniel Lewis, daughter of Edmond Lewis, a brother of Henry Lewis, who married Elizabeth Woodson. This Lewis family and that of Richard Woodson, left Virginia and moved to Missouri together.
William Cowper spent 11 years farming in St. Louis county, after which he engaged in the tobacco business. He was a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he was a faithful and efficient officer, aiding by material and moral support, in all the church's activities. He also filled several civil offices, in which he proved himself a citizen on whom the state could depend. His first wife died in April 1844 at Monticello, in Chariton County Missouri. He was married a second time on July 29, 1845, to the widow Mrs. Juliet Colson Coale (nee Howard), formerly of Owensboro, Kentucky. They were married at Monticello, in Chariton County.
In 1850 they moved to St. Louis county and settled on a farm, situated on what became Olive Street Road, nine miles from the city of St. Louis, where it crosses the Woodson Road, which was so named for him. He was one of the promoters of the extension of this road through the county to Howell's Ferry, also of the St. Louis Fair Association and a large stock holder in both enterprises.
Soon after the beginning of the Civil War, thinking -- as did many others -- that the property of all Southern people in that section would be confiscated by the Federal government, he sold his farm and moved to St. Louis. Here he spent the rest of his life, and died May 25, 1890, honored and respected by all who knew him. He was a good man. 1
FROM T.M. FINNEY:
In the death of William C. Woodson, occurring at his home in the city of St. Louis May 25th 1890, there was close of an eventful life and a remarkable history. He was among a few survivors of the first American settlers of the State and was connected with the pioneer days of Missouri Methodism. He was a native of Virginia, born in Prince Edward county, Feb.14, 1813; but in his fourth year his father’s family emigrated to the Territory of Missouri and settled in Charlton county. The journey was by wagon road travel from the Atlantic sea-board and the settlement in the then wilderness. The father and the son in the days of early manhood became, therefore, connected with the development of the social, religious and business interests of that section of the State. Brought up amid the conditions of pioneer life, they contributed much to the hardy character and sturdy virtues so conspicuous in his life, to which was added the advantages, rare at that time, of a liberal education, having been sent to Princeton college, Ky. In his twenty-first year, Nov. 25, 1834, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Lewis, who was one of the oldest and best families of Howard County. He engaged in the tobacco business, which he prosecuted in that county and in St. Louis during his active life with the exception of eleven years, in which he was engaged in farming in St. Louis county on his removal here in 1850. I became his pastor in 1856, and often enjoyed the generous and refined hospitality of his home, which in all his life was freely open as the home of itinerant preachers. I have known him long and well and cannot allow him to pass away without memorial of the career he has enacted, and especially of his Christian character and his valuable service to the church during more than half a century. He served in various offices and in all with diligence and fidelity; and in every way by material and moral support assisted and encouraged the labors of the ministry. He was a liberal giver, unvarying in attendance upon both stated and special services and exerted a commanding influence by his consistent profession and blameless life and conversation. Among many instances of his zeal and enterprise in church work he was foremost and active in establishing a class and building a house of worship in his neighborhood at Mt. Olive, of which the church at Clayton is the successor.
His first wife died in 1844, leaving two sons, Robert and Richard E. Woodson. His second marriage was to Mrs. Julia C. Cole, who survives him together with four children, Mrs. Noble Evans, Wm. C. Woodson, Jr., Mrs. John Cornelison and Mrs. Harry C. Dudley. He was a faithful and devoted husband and an affectionate father, and the family are most deeply bereaved. But consolation abounds. He has left them an honorable name and the legacy of a godly life and in its closing hours the testimony of a safe departure to the life beyond. His health in his latter years was much impaired, but the fatal issue of his last sickness was quite unexpected to his family and to himself. It did not surprise his unprepared. He received the Summons with perfect resignation; and in full possession of consciousness to the last, he bade his family "good-bye," requesting them to meet him in heaven. T.M. FINNEY.
This page was created by John Cardinal's Second Site v1.9.4.