born 1731, died 1807
Family: Ann Dillard (born between 1726 and 1729, died 1829)
Facts and Notes
- Birth: 1731; Virginia, USAB3
- Marriage: 1756; Ann Dillard3
- Military: 1781; Virginia, USAB; Revolutionary War; Furnished beef bacon and wheat to the army on 17 Jul, 1 Aug, and 3 Aug 17814
- Anecdote: Before 1807; See person note below5
- Death: 1807; Goochland County, Virginia, USAB2,4
- Burial: 1807; Isbell Cemetery (Rt 619), Gum Spring, Goochland County, Virginia, USAB2,5
- Note: The following was from the memorial page on findagrave.com:
Some family trees give his death date as 1807 in Goochland, Virgina, and state that he married Ann Dillard on 05 Mar 1734 in Goochland, Virginia, though these dates are questionable. Others say 1736/7.
No marker has been found for his grave. It is only a theory that he is buried in the Isbell Cemetery in Goochland since he died there. There are many unmarked graves and unreadable marked graves in the old Isbell family cemetery.
1 John Isbell (England to Gloucester County, Virginia by 1664), presumptive father of
2 William Isbell, Sr. of Isbell Spring, St. John's Parish, King William County;
+ wife unknown
3 Henry Isbell b.c1690 of Orange Co.; constable of Caroline Co., d. c1760
+ daughter of Elizabeth & "James Cox, Gent.," d c1739 St. Mark's Parish, Orange Co. (July 25, 1733; Spotsylvania Orders, 7 Aug, p.240)
4 William Isbell b c1720 of Goochland
+ Ann Dillard
The sons of Henry Isbell appear in Orange County records when they came of age: James (named for maternal grandfather James Cox) (married Frances Tompkins Livingston and moved to Albemarle Co., VA., later to Wilkes Co., N.C.), William Isbell of Goochland (named for paternal grandfather), Henry Jr. (married Hannah; on record in Amelia, Lunenburg, Charlotte and Halifax counties, VA.), and Zachary/Zachariah Isbell (probably named for Zachary Taylor or Lewis).
William and Ann Isbell lived in Caroline County before moving to Goochland. Their first eight children were born before the family was recorded in Dover Church in Goochland. These eight children were:
I. George B. Isbell was born in 1746, married Susanne Eubank.
II.Joseph Isbell was born about 1748, married Ann _____.
III.Susannah Isbell was born in 1749, married Jacob Mayo.
IV.John Lewis Isbell married Hannah Ann Anderson.
V.William Isbell married Mary Crenshaw.
VI.Nancy Isbell married Stephen Mayo.
VII.James Isbell married Elizabeth Coleman.
VIII.Elizabeth Isbell married Nathaniel Smith.
The Parish Register of Dover Church in Goochland County was begun in 1756 by William Douglas, Minister. It lists children born to this couple after they moved to Goochland Co. The marriage of William "Isabel" and Ann Dillard is listed as 5 March 1757 in this Register (page 109), but they were married before this. This listing on page 109 was simply to show that they were man and wife since the Register had not been kept earlier.
Their latter children are listed on page 222 of this Register:
IX. Christopher Isbell, the first child of William and Ann listed in the Register, born March 5, 1757: Baptized 1757 Ap: 9. P. 50.
X. Henry Isbell, born Oct 3, 1761; Baptized 1762 Mar 14. P 62.
XI.Thomas Isbell, born Dec 23, 1762; Baptized Ap: 17, 1763. p.64.
XII.Benjamin Isbell, born Mar 18, 1764; Baptized May 20, 1764. P. 67.
XIII.Zachariah Isbell, born Dec 1, 1765; Baptized Feb.9, 1766. P. 73.
XIV.Sarah Isbell, born July 26, 1767; Baptized Nov 1, 1767. P. 79.
XV.Mary Isbell, born Dec 3, 1770; Baptized March; 24, 1771. P89. Died young.
A list was made at a Court held for Goochland County (Agreeable to an Act of Assembly) for Ascertaining the losses of the inhabitants of said County by the British Army under the Command of Earl Cornwallis, Sept 27, 1782. On this list was Wm Isbell for 11 pounds, 20 shillings (Va Genealogy Mag Jul-Sept 1986, Vol 30 No 3, 217-218).
- [S519] Ancestry.com, U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current, Record for Lewis Isbell
- [S519] Ancestry.com, U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current, Record for William Isbell
- [S367] Yates Publishing, U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900, Source number: 1048.000; Source type: Electronic Database; Number of Pages: 1; Submitter Code: DGS, Record for William Isbell
- [S366] Ancestry.com, U.S., Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970, Application for Kenneth Madison McDonald, descendant of William Isbell
- [S362] Find a Grave memorial, Find A Grave, William Isbell memorial page, number 125070702, created by Ray, 12 Feb 2014; No gravestone was found and it is only a theory that he was buried in the Isbell Cemetery because he died in Goochland. (https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=125070702: accessed 31 January 2017)