Facts and Notes
- Birth: UNKNOWN
- Immigration: 20 December 1772; Charleston County, South Carolina, USAB; See person note4,1,2,3
- Will: 20 November 1794; Chester, South Carolina, USAB; Possibly the James Brown who witnessed Thomas H McDill's Last Will and Testament5
- Note: James Brown and his family immigrated to South Carolina from Larne, Ireland, aboard the ship "Lord Dunluce." The ship departed Ireland on 4 Oct 1772 and arrived in South Carolina on 20 Dec 1772 carrying over 200 passengers and families. An outbreak of smallpox broke out during the voyage, killing one man and several children. The passengers were part of Rev. William Martin's Reform Presbyterian, who where seeking religious freedom and given land in the back country of South Carolina to start communities and help expand the Colony of the Carolinas. On 6 Jan 1773, James Brown petitioned South Carolina's Governor's Council for a warrent of survey for 350 acres of land.
- [S519] Ancestry.com, U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current, Record for Mary McDill
- [S362] Online database, Find A Grave, Mary Brown McDill memorial page, number 55345774, created by Janine McQuiston, 23 Jul 2010; citing gravestone in Moffatt-Strong-McDill Cemetery, Chester, Chester County, South Carolina, USA. Source of family story is not given. (https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=55345774&ref=acom: accessed 26 September 2016)
- [S659] Ancestry.com, Message Boards, database, Ancestry.com (http:www.ancestry.com, accessed 31 Jan 2017), "Passenger List: Ship 'LORD DUNLUCE': Larne, Ireland to Charlestown, SC, October - December 1772" posted by JGriffinWeldon on 13 Jul 2009 citing "Dickson, P:254" and "A Compilation of the Original Lists of Protestant Immigrants to South Carolina, 1763-1773" by Janie REVILL.
- [S629] Janie Revill, Original Lists of Protestant Immigrants to South Carolina 1763-1773, Page 121
- [S553] Ancestry.com, South Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1670-1980, South Carolina County, District and Probate Courts, South Carolina Will Transcripts, 1782-1868; Author: Wates, Wylma Anne; Probate Place: Chester, South Carolina, Record for Thomas McDill