born 5 June 1904, died 9 February 2004
Photo of Refugia Martinez Cuaron. The date of the photo is unknown, but it was probably taken shortly before her death in February 2004. (Photo courtesy of Art Cuaron)
Facts and Notes
- Anecdote: See person note below4
- Birth: 5 June 1904; Rodey, Doña Ana County, New Mexico, USAB5,2,3
- Marriage: 19 July 1924; Florencio Miranda Cuaron; Doña Ana County, New Mexico, USAB; The marriage probably occured no earlier than 1918 because when Florencio filled out his WW I draft registration card at age 18 (around 1917), he listed his mother (as opposed to Refugia) as his closest living relative.6,7
- Residence: 1930; Doña Ana, Doña Ana County, New Mexico, USAB; Age: 22; Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head of House: Wife3
- Death: 9 February 2004; Doña Ana, Doña Ana County, New Mexico, USAB5,2
- Burial: 13 February 2004; Doña Ana Cemetery, Doña Ana, Doña Ana County, New Mexico, USAB2
- Note: From her obituary:
REFUGIA "CUCA" M. CUARON, age 99, a lifelong resident of Dona Ana entered eternal life Monday, February 9, 2004 at her home. She was born June 5, 1904 in Rodey.
Mrs. Cuaron was a homemaker and a member of the Catholic Church.
Survivors include four sons, Isaac Cuaron, Sr. and wife, Mary Esther of Las Cruces, Pablo Cuaron and wife, Lucia, Willie Cuaron and wife, Estella all of Dona Ana, Jack Cuaron and wife, Tommie, also of Las Cruces; one daughter, Nettie C. Miller also of Dona Ana. Other survivors include 27 grandchildren, 43 great-grandchildren and 22 great-great-grandchildren. Her husband, Florencio Cuaron, a son, Tomas M. Cuaron and a daughter, Alice C. Avalos, preceded her in death.
Visitation for Mrs. Cuaron will begin at 5 PM Thursday, February 12, 2004 in the West Chapel of Baca's Funeral Chapels, 300 E. Boutz Road, where the Prayer Vigil is scheduled for 7 PM. The Funeral Liturgy will be celebrated at 10 AM Friday, February 13, 2004 in Our Lady of Purification Catholic Church in Dona Ana with the Reverend Miguel Macaya, Celebrant. The Rite of Committal and Interment will follow in the Dona Ana Cemetery where she will be laid to rest.
Serving as casket bearers will be her grandsons.
Service arrangements have been entrusted to the care of Baca's Funeral Chapels, 300 E. Boutz Road, Las Cruces. 527-2222
- [S118] Reyes Family, Memorial Notice, Reyes Family. Memorial Notice. 2011. Privately held by Robert Reyes, Lorton, Virginia. 2016., Obituary for Tomas Martinez Cuaron, 26 June 2002
- [S691] Ancestry.com, U.S., Obituary Collection, 1930-2015, See newspaper information provided with each entry., Newspaper: Ruidoso News; Publication Date: 14 2 2004; Publication Place: Ruidoso, NM, US. Obituary for Refugia "Cuca" M. Cuaron.
- [S523] Ancestry.com, 1930 United States Federal Census, Year: 1930; Census Place: Dona Ana, Dona Ana, New Mexico; Roll: 1394; Page: 7B; Enumeration District: 0002; Image: 553.0; FHL microfilm: 2341129, Record for Florencio Cuaron
- [S118] Reyes Family, Memorial Notice, Reyes Family. Memorial Notice. 2011. Privately held by Robert Reyes, Lorton, Virginia. 2016., Obituary for Refugia "Cuca" M. Cuaron, 14 Feb 2004
- [S155] Ancestry.com, Social Security Death Index, Subject: Refugia M. Cuaron, Series: Online Database, File Number: 585-07-8418
- [S122] Ancestry.com, World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918; Dona Ana County, NM, Subject: Florencio Miranda Cuaron, Film: Roll 1711860
- [S759] Genealogy Village, American History and Genealogy Project for NM, The posted marriage list gives Beatriz's last name as "Reyes." There is no way to know if this is actually her maiden name, or if the clerk did not know her maiden name and assigned her married name., Dona Ana County, Marriages, Recent Marriages (1908-1982), Record for Florencio Cuaron and Refugio Martinez