born 1672, died 31 March 1736
Facts and Notes
- Possessions: Between 009 and 10 December 1729; St. George Parish, Spotsylvania County, Virginia, USAB; Deed of Lease. On 9 Dec 1729, John Grayson of St. George Parish, leased a 200 acre tract of land in the said parish to Ambrose Grayson of same place for 5 shillings. The tract was part of the lands purchased by John Grayson from William Smith of Gloster County. The deed was witnessed by Francis Turuley, Henry Rogers, and James Roy; it was proved & admitted to record on 3 Mar 1729/30.
Deed of Release. John Grayson sold the aforementioned 200 acres of land to Ambrose on 10 December 1729 for £50. The deed was witnessed by Francis Turuley, Henry Rogers, and James Roy; it was proved on 3 Mar 1729/30 by John Grayson & Zachary Lewis (Susanna Grayson's attorney), who acknowledged Susanna Grayson's right of dower of the land unto the said Ambrose Grayson, at whose motion the same was admitted to record.5
- Birth: 1672; EnglandB2
- Residence: 1700; Christ Church Parish, Lancaster County, Virginia, USAB4
- Marriage: About 1703; Susannah White; Virginia, USAB2,6
- Arrival: Between 1716 and 1721; St. George Parish, Spotsylvania County, Virginia, USAB4
- Possessions: 3 March 1729/30; St. George Parish, Spotsylvania County, Virginia, USAB; John Grayson of St. Geo. Par., Spts. Co., to Ambrose Grayson of same par. and county. 50 ster., 200 a.-part of Deeds formerly purchased by Jno. Grayson of Wm. Smith of Gloucester, in St. Geo. Par., Spts. Co. March 3, 1729-30. Susannah, wife of Jno. Gra3
- Death: 31 March 1736; Spotsylvania County, Virginia, USAB7
- [S494] Edmund West, comp., Family Data Collection - Individual Records, Birth year: 1704; Birth city: Lancaster; Birth state: VA, Record for Ambrose Grayson
- [S425] Yates Publishing, U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900, Source number: 6778.017; Source type: Family group sheet, FGSE, listed as parents; Number of Pages: 1, Record for John Grayson
- [S685] Ancestry.com, Virginia, Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850, Chalkley, Lyman. Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia, 1745-1800. Extracted from the Original Court Records of Augusta County. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1965. Originally published in 1912.
Crozier, William Armstrong, ed. Virginia County Records - Spotsylvania County Records, 1721-1800. Being transcriptions from the original files at the County Court House of wills, deeds, administrators and guardians bonds, marriage licenses, and lists of revolutionary pensioners. New York, NY: Fox, Duffield Co., 1905.
The will abstracts for Isle of Wight and Norfolk counties were taken from microfilmed copies of the original Will Books. Some of these records may be found at the Family History Library as well as other libraries and archives. The originals may be found at the appropriate county courthouses.
For individual sources please see the Notes section listed with each record., Record for John Grayson
- [S595] James D. Evans, Haverford, PA, Genealogies of Virginia Families, Vol II (Gildart-Pettus), Grayson Family Addenda, pg. 97
- [S596] Brewer, Mary Marshall, Spotsylvania County, Virginia, Deed Books (1722-1734), pg. 84-85
- [S710] FamilySearch, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "International Genealogical Index (IGI)," database, Familysearch; entry for Susannah White; https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:M7VN-JG9; accessed 7 June 2016
- [S552] Ancestry.com, Message Boards, WikiTree person sheet for John B. Grayson; accessed 2 April 2016