Rowland Wallace Cobb1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11
born 9 December 1853, died 1 April 1932
Family: Laura Chappell Price (born 9 May 1859, died 2 January 1922)
- Murray Edwin Cobb (born 14 September 1875, died 12 May 1918)
- Adine Pearl Cobb (born 19 September 1877, died 30 October 1960)
- John Alexander Cobb (born 11 December 1879, died 11 June 1943)
- Wallace William Cobb (born 26 May 1882, died 31 January 1948)
- Mildred Eudocia Cobb (born 19 December 1884, died 1 September 1927)
- James Bryant Cobb (born 19 February 1887, died 2 June 1959)
- Margaret Price Cobb (born 28 June 1889, died 28 September 1955)
- Rowland Chappell Cobb (born 23 December 1895, died 16 December 1958)
- Richard Collier Cobb (born 10 April 1899, died 8 January 1963)
- Fannie Lee Cobb (born 18 June 1901, died 7 November 1934)
Facts and Notes
- Anecdote: Laura Chappell Price; See person note below.1
- Birth: 9 December 1853; Columbus, Lowndes County, Mississippi, USAB7,1,2,3,4,12,5,8,6,9
- Residence: 1860; Middle Division, Fayette County, Alabama, USAB; Age: 713
- Residence: 1870; (formerly Sanford County), Trulls, Lamar County, Alabama, USAB; Age: 179
- Marriage: 24 December 1874; Laura Chappell Price; Lamar County, Alabama, USAB; Ceremony performed by D.M. Rush at the residence of W.L. Morton (Laura's brother-in-law). Roland's father, Alexander, a Judge of Probate witnessed and signed the license. Roland's brother, William A., was a witness and the best man.11,1,14,10
- Residence: 1880; Lamar County, Alabama, USAB; Age: 27; Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head of House: Self7
- Residence: 1900; Vernon, Lamar County, Alabama, USAB; Age: 43; Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head of House: Head2
- Occupation: 1900; Vernon, Lamar County, Alabama, USAB; Dry goods merchant2
- Residence: 1910; Vernon, Lamar County, Alabama, USAB; Age: 56; Age: 56; Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head of House: Head3
- Occupation: 1910; Vernon, Lamar County, Alabama, USAB; Farm employee3
- Residence: 1920; Vernon, Lamar County, Alabama, USAB; Age: 66; Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head of House: Head4
- Occupation: Before 1929; Vernon, Lamar County, Alabama, USAB; Mr. Cobb was a merchant of Vernon from the time of the War Between the States until his retirement12,15
- Residence: 1930; Vernon, Lamar County, Alabama, USAB; Age: 76; Marital Status: Widowed; Relation to Head of House: Father8
- Death: 1 April 1932; Vernon, Lamar County, Alabama, USAB; Age: 78; Died at his home of Chronic Myocarditis (primary) and Pulmonary Congestion (contributory)12,5,15,6
- Burial: 2 April 1932; Vernon Cemetery, Vernon, Lamar County, Alabama, USAB12,5,15,6
- Note: In March of 1888 a professional robbery was performed on the safes of two Vernon stores owned by the families of Wimberly and Cobb.
Dr. R. J. Reddon and his son, Dr. R. H. Reddon, along with members of the Ogden, Bankhead, Stone, Clearman, Cobb, Oldshue, and Hollis families, were instrumental in the early life of the railroad town of Sulligent. Roland Wallace's grandson, Richard Sicard Cobb, was born in R.J. Reddon's house in Sulligent on March 12, 1922.
R.J. Redden was the postmaster for Sulligent from 7 December 1887 until 27 July 1889.
Roland Wallace Cobb's house was built with square nails and handhewn timbers in Vernon, Alabama by John Parsons around 1890. The house was bought from RW by John C. Holliday and was in the Holliday family's hands for nearly a half-century. It was named for John C. Holliday and was converted into a museum by its owner, Ray Holliday, in 1987.
R.W. (probably Roland Wallace) and M.A. (probably his brother Murray Alexander) Cobb are listed on the Muster Roll for the Thomas G. Jones Rifle Company. The Company is listed at the end of a section dedicated to the men in uniform that served in the confederate army, although this would appear to be unlikely given the age of the two men when the Civil War ended.
Martha Stone Cobb Daniel wrote the following about Rowland and Laura:
"Rolland Wallace Cobb married Laura Chappell Price, the daughter of General Price (Etna can fill you in here) [Note: Laura Price was not the daughter of General Price, she was his grandniece.] who will be referred to as Nanny, duo to the fact the oldest grandchild (Ashley) could never say Grannie -- Nanny Cobb's Mother had died when she was quite young, as she was reared in a Catholic Convent until she was old enough to live with a married sister in Vernon. It was said that the sister was greatly relieved when Laura married Rolland because they were afraid she might prove to be a little fast. Of this marriage, there were ten children and two still births.
This finishes the kaleidoscope of the ten children of Nanny and Pa Cobb - How they survived as long as they did, I shall never know, but I'm happy I can remember Nanny always in her black silk with her gold jewelry sitting in her rocker with one foot neatly tucked under her, busily knitting or crocheting - The sheer joy of knowing the tea cakes were awaiting us in the fifty-pound lard can - Children were never allowed the cakes and pies - They were reserved for adults only. Poor Lucile was chosen to teach Nanny to drive the car. This was a bit unusual, as Nanny was 65 and terrorized everyone at the rate of speed at which she liked to travel over the gravel roads - She was a small woman, but must have stood very tall in the saddle, as she was the one I am told, who was the sole disciplinarian of the entire brood.
Pa Cobb was a dear - We were all sent to him to have our baby teeth pulled - He was clever, as well as patient to no end - He had a means of diverting attention until he had the string securely tied to the tooth, then slam went the door - Sheer magic, I would say!! An apple was our reward - It was my honor to sit next to Pa Cobb at the table after he lived with us, and the food he slipped on my plate, like the white of an egg - He knew he was getting my yellow in return tho - He taught me many things - Among these things was to hold my head up high and never fail to look the world in the eye - I shall always try to remember this."
- [S457] , Daniel, Martha Stone, Genealogy Project, Descendants of Alexander Cobb
- [S449] Ancestry.com, 1900 United States Federal Census, Year: 1900; Census Place: Vernon, Lamar, Alabama; Roll: 23; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 0043; FHL microfilm: 1240023, Record for Rowland W Cobb
- [S450] Ancestry.com, 1910 United States Federal Census, Year: 1910; Census Place: Vernon, Lamar, Alabama; Roll: T624_20; Page: 1A; Enumeration District: 0057; FHL microfilm: 1374033, Record for Ratie W Coob
- [S667] Ancestry.com, 1920 United States Federal Census, Year: 1920; Census Place: Vernon, Lamar, Alabama; Roll: T625_26; Page: 3B; Enumeration District: 38; Image: 11, Record for Roll W Cobb
- [S448] Ancestry.com, U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current, Record for Margaret Price Stone
- [S537] , State of Alabama, Bureau of Vital Statistics, Certificate of Death, Certificate Number 149; Rowland W. Cobb; 8 Jun 1932
- [S353] Ancestry.com and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1880 United States Federal Census, Year: 1880; Census Place: Lamar, Alabama; Roll: 17; Family History Film: 1254017; Page: 603A; Enumeration District: 132, Record for Rolland W. Cobb
- [S375] Ancestry.com, 1930 United States Federal Census, Year: 1930; Census Place: Vernon, Lamar, Alabama; Roll: 21; Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 0001; Image: 234.0; FHL microfilm: 2339756, Record for Wallace W Cobb
- [S471] Ancestry.com, 1870 United States Federal Census, Year: 1870; Census Place: Trulls, Sanford, Alabama; Roll: M593_39; Page: 296A; Image: 43; Family History Library Film: 545538, Record for Alex Cobb
- [S682] Ancestry.com, Alabama, Marriage Index, 1800-1969, Record for Laura E Price
- [S681] Ancestry.com, Alabama, Compiled Marriages from Selected Counties, 1809-1920, Record for Roland W. Cobb
- [S369] Ancestry.com, Alabama, Deaths and Burials Index, 1881-1974, Record for Roland Wallace Cobb
- [S415] Ancestry.com, 1860 United States Federal Census, Year: 1860; Census Place: Middle Division, Fayette, Alabama; Roll: M653_9; Page: 450; Image: 456; Family History Library Film: 803009, Record for Alexander Cobb
- [S538] , State of Alabama, Sanford County, Marriage Certificates, Certificate number 489; Rowland W Cobb and Laura E. Price; 24 Dec 1874
- [S532] , The Birmingham News, Birmingham, Alabama, USA (print edition), "Vernon Man Buried"; Apr 4, 1932, Burial Notice for Rowland W Cobb