William Robert Duncan1,2
born 7 January 1627/28, died 2 January 1690/91
Facts and Notes
- Title: Reverend1
- Birth: 7 January 1627/28; Perth, Perthshire, ScotlandB; Margaret's genealogy lists the birth year as 1620 and the Yate's compilation of marriage records lists it as 1730, while the findagrave database indicates it was 1727/28.1,3,2
- Education: 1648; King's College, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, ScotlandB; Degree in Theology1
- Marriage: 29 August 1657; Sarah Haldane; Glasgow, Lanarkshire, ScotlandB; Unknown source listed 20 Aug 1656/57 as marriage date. LDS site lists her last name as HALDANE.2,3,1
- Occupation: Before 1690; ScotlandB; Covenant Presbyterian Minister3,1
- Anecdote: Before 1690; ScotlandB; See person note below1
- Death: 2 January 1690/91; Glasgow, Lanarkshire, ScotlandB; See person note below3,1
- Burial: After 2 January 1690/91; Mount Schiehallion, Perthshire, ScotlandB1
- Note: According to the memorial to William Duncan posted on findagrave.com, William was a Covenant Presbyterian Minister who refused to take a Jacobite Oath when ordered to do so by King Charles of England. In accordance with the King's orders, he was beheaded in or near Glasgow on either 1 or 2 January 1690/91. near Glasgow, Lanard, Scotland, and was buried at the foot of mount "Shiehaliob" (probably Schiehallion, a prominent mountain in Perth and Kinross, Scotland). Following his beheading, his family fled the country to the Northern Neck of Virginia in the United States.
- [S489] Ancestry.com, UK and Ireland, Find A Grave Index, 1300s-Current, Find A Grave. Find A Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi, (the Findagrave memorial for Rev William Robert Duncan is posted at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=60040920&ref=acom&ftm=1)
- [S425] Yates Publishing, U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900, Source number: 841.000; Source type: Electronic Database; Number of Pages: 1; Submitter Code: BB1, Record for Sarah Haldane
- [S439] McNaull, Margaret, Personal Family Tree, McNaull, Margaret. Personal Family Tree. Privately held by Marianna Cobb, Arlington, Virginia, 1993.
These are copies of three separate genealogical records and a personal letter that were sent by Margaret McNaull to Marianna Cobb in Virginia in 1993. The copies were on file in the home of Mary Jane and Robert Reyes of Lorton, Virginia, as of 2014, Margaret McNaull Genealogical Records, Copies sent to Marianna Cobb on 11 May 1993.