William Robert Duncan1,2
born 7 January 1627/28, died 2 January 1690/91
Facts and Notes
- Title: Reverend1
- Birth: 7 January 1627/28; Perth, Perthshire, ScotlandB; Margaret's genealogy lists the birth year as 1620 and the Yate's compilation of marriage records lists it as 1730, while the findagrave database indicates it was 1727/28.1,3,2
- Education: 1648; King's College, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, ScotlandB; Degree in Theology1
- Marriage: 29 August 1657; Sarah Haldane; Glasgow, Lanarkshire, ScotlandB; Unknown source listed 20 Aug 1656/57 as marriage date. LDS site lists her last name as HALDANE.2,3,1
- Occupation: Before 1690; ScotlandB; Covenant Presbyterian Minister3,1
- Anecdote: Before 1690; ScotlandB; See person note below1
- Death: 2 January 1690/91; Glasgow, Lanarkshire, ScotlandB; See person note below3,1
- Burial: After 2 January 1690/91; Mount Schiehallion, Perthshire, ScotlandB1
- Note: According to the memorial to William Duncan posted on findagrave.com, William was a Covenant Presbyterian Minister who refused to take a Jacobite Oath when ordered to do so by King Charles of England. In accordance with the King's orders, he was beheaded in or near Glasgow on either 1 or 2 January 1690/91. near Glasgow, Lanard, Scotland, and was buried at the foot of mount "Shiehaliob" (probably Schiehallion, a prominent mountain in Perth and Kinross, Scotland). Following his beheading, his family fled the country to the Northern Neck of Virginia in the United States.
- [S489] Ancestry.com, UK and Ireland, Find A Grave Index, 1300s-Current, (the Findagrave memorial for Rev William Robert Duncan is posted at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=60040920&ref=acom&ftm=1)
- [S425] Yates Publishing, U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900, Source number: 841.000; Source type: Electronic Database; Number of Pages: 1; Submitter Code: BB1, Record for Sarah Haldane
- [S439] , McNaull, Margaret, Personal Family Tree, Margaret McNaull Genealogical Records, Copies sent to Marianna Cobb on 11 May 1993.