Margaret Mitchell Woodson1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
born 7 March 1903, died 23 June 2002
Facts and Notes
- Religious Affiliation: Presbyterian
- Anecdote: See person note below11
- Birth: 7 March 1903; Franklin County, Indiana, USAB; Robert S Woodson's Brief Family History indicates Margaret was born in Hopewell, Indiana, but in Margaret's own genealogy she confirms she was born in Franklin.1,12,13,2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10
- Residence: 1 March 1905; Derby, Sedgwick County, Kansas, USAB; Age: 22
- Residence: 1910; Manning, Clarendon County, South Carolina, USAB; Age: 7; Marital Status: Single; Relation to Head of House: Daughter14
- Education: 1925; Chicora College, Columbia, Lexington County, South Carolina, USAB; Graduated in 192511
- Marriage: 16 December 1926; Thaddeus Weatherly McNAULL; Birmingham, Jefferson County, Alabama, USAB5,13
- Residence: 1930; Congaree, Lexington County, South Carolina, USAB; Age: 27; Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head of House: Wife3
- Residence: 1932; Roanoke County, Virginia, USAB6
- Residence: 1935; Canton, Haywood County, North Carolina, USAB4
- Residence: 1 April 1940; Canton, Haywood County, North Carolina, USAB; Age: 37; Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head of House: Wife4
- Occupation: Before 2002; Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, USAB; Longtime employee of the Charlotte Observer newpaper11
- Residence: Before 23 June 2002; Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina, USAB; Marital Status: Widowed10
- Death: 23 June 2002; Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina, USAB; In Beacon Place7,8,9,10
- Burial: After 23 June 2002; Bon-A-Venture Cemetery, Canton, Haywood County, North Carolina, USAB8
- Note: Margaret Woodson McNaull's Obituary:
Margaret Woodson McNaull,99,who formerly lived at Heritage Greens and at Village Green, died Sunday, June 23, 2002 at Beacon Place in Greensboro. She is survived by her daughter, Helen M. Stone of Greensboro, four grandchildren and seven great grandchildren.
Born March 7,1903 in Franklin,Indiana, the daughter of Albert Robertson and Mary Singleton Woodson, Margaret graduated in 1925 from Chicora College in Columbia, SC, now Queens College in Charlotte. Her husband, Thaddeus Weatherly McNaull and son, Tad Jr., predeceased her, as did her parents and three brothers, Rev. Dr. Robert S. Woodson, Rev. Dr. Marshall S. Woodson and Lewis B. Woodson, Esq.
A longtime employee of The Charlotte Observer, Margaret lived many years in Canton, NC, as well as in Charlotte. She had the rare opportunity to view Halley's Comet twice in her lifetime, once at age seven and then 76 years later upon its return.
Survivors include her daughter, Helen Stone, and four grandchildren, Bill and wife, Ann Stone of Cashiers, NC, Reed Stone of Greensboro, Dianne Norton and husband, Doug, of Lexington, SC, and Lynn Chafin and husband, David, of Greensboro. Also surviving are seven great grandchildren, Andy Nesbit of Lexington, SC, William Stone of Cashiers, Steffi and Nick Norton of Lexington, SC, and Mark, Chris and Sam Chafin of Greensboro.
Visitation will be held at Hanes Lineberry North Elm Chapel from 7-9 PM on Wednesday. The funeral will begin at 10 AM Thursday in the First Presbyterian Church Chapel.
Services will be conducted by John Truitt, pastor, and Tom Tate, pastor of Plaza Presbyterian Church in Charlotte, where Margaret was honored with a life membership in Women of the Presbyterian Church, in recognition of her dedicated service to that church from 1947 to 1982.
Margaret will be buried at 3 PM Thursday in Bonaventure Cemetery in Clyde, NC, next to her husband, son and parents. Reverend Tom Tate will lead the committal service. Wells-Greely Funeral Home of Canton will attend this service.
Contributions may be made to Hospice of Greensboro, 2500 Summit Avenue, 27405 or to the Sadye Bowles Fund, First Presbyterian Church, 617 N. Elm Street, Greensboro, NC 27401 or to Plaza Presbyterian Church, 2304 The Plaza, Charlotte, NC 28205.
Condolences may be sent through www.haneslineberry.com. Hanes-Lineberry Funeral Home of Greensboro is serving the McNaull family.
THE CHARLOTTE OBSERVER
June 25, 2002
- [S435] , Woodson, Robert S., Family Record
- [S669] Ancestry.com, Kansas State Census Collection, 1855-1925, Kansas State Historical Society; Topeka, Kansas; 1905 Kansas Territory Census; Roll: ks1905_144; Line: 1, Record for A.R. Woodson
- [S447] Ancestry.com, 1930 United States Federal Census, Year: 1930; Census Place: Congaree, Lexington, South Carolina; Roll: 2204; Page: 7A; Enumeration District: 0015; Image: 900.0; FHL microfilm: 2341938, Record for Thad W McNaull
- [S390] Ancestry.com, 1940 United States Federal Census, Year: 1940; Census Place: Canton, Haywood, North Carolina; Roll: T627_2927; Page: 9B; Enumeration District: 44-2, Record for Margaret McNaul
- [S674] Ancestry.com, Alabama, Select Marriages, 1816-1942, Record for Thad W. Mcnaull
- [S661] Ancestry.com, U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995, Record for Thaddeus W McNaull
- [S404] Ancestry.com, U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014, Number: 245-38-6068; Issue State: North Carolina; Issue Date: Before 1951, Record for Margaret W. McNaull
- [S519] Ancestry.com, U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current, Record for Margaret McNaull
- [S531] Ancestry.com, U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007, Record for Margaret Woodson McNaull
- [S545] Ancestry.com, North Carolina, Death Indexes, 1908-2004, Record for Margaret Woodson McNaull
- [S566] , The Charlotte Observer, Charlotte, North Carolina (print edition), Obituary for Margaret Woodson McNaull, 25 Jun 2002
- [S436] , Woodson, Robert S., Brief Family History of Robert S. Woodson, Robert Woodson states that Middleton Singleton attended Missouri State University in 1847. However, he probably meant the University of Missouri, which was established at Columbia in Boone County in 1839; Missouri State wasn't established until 1905.
- [S439] , McNaull, Margaret, Personal Family Tree, Margaret McNaull Genealogical Records, Copies sent to Marianna Cobb on 11 May 1993.
- [S393] Ancestry.com, 1910 United States Federal Census, Year: 1910; Census Place: Manning, Clarendon, South Carolina; Roll: T624_1456; Page: 14A; Enumeration District: 0095; FHL microfilm: 1375469, Record for Albert R Woodson